Sunday, March 31, 2019

Mentoring Program: Learning Diary


The mentoring program has been a combination of group meeting and individual meetings with the mentor. I learned different communication skills in the group meetings. I have even "borrowed" some of the activities to my own teaching practice, which was really enjoyable. Although my mentor is not in the field I wish to work in, he was able to find different resources and give suggestions to me. Our communication was rather flexible and open. He is really friendly and welcoming.  In the individual meetings with my mentor, we have explored different options in the job market. My mentor listened to my expectations and we worked on them together. Sometimes, however, things did not turn out as we wished. For example, my mentor wrote a reference letter for me to apply a teaching practice position in his previous school. I did not get the place unfortunately, but it led to opportunities to observe the lessons in that school. For me, the mentoring process was like a journey in a forest. You know roughly your destination, but you can never expect what things you might encounter on the way. The forest is so dense that sometimes it becomes an obstacle and you lose direction, but slowly everything will accumulate and contribute to your goal.

Before the mentoring program, I was really anxious about my working possibilities in Finland. During the process, I have gradually changed my mindset and come to understand what I need to do at this stage. In this regard, I do think the program has been really helpful and I have reached most of my personal goals in the program. I needed a clarification and direction for myself, and now I have both. Thanks to my mentor and the organizers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment